May 25, 2007

Lunar-Resonant Streetlighting

I read a little about this and I believe it's a great idea, although it cannot be embraced everywhere because of personal and material security. Nevertheless, I would love to see this happen in the "Big Ranch" I spend my days in.

The basic idea is that street lighting respond to ambient nightlight (in short, moonlight) and dim or brighten due to the moon's brightness in Her 28 days cycle. Of course if it's cloudy, the system will brighten the lights. This concept, by
Civil Twilight, could save up to 80-90% of the energy used for street lighting and as a bonus, we could delight ourselves again with a starry night and the beautiful silvery Moon. It's worth mentioning that Civil Twilight won this year's (2007, so I won't forget) Metropolis Next Generation Ideas competition.

If you're interested in the full story, read on! Would this concept work in your city? Leave a comment!!

No comments:

Post a Comment